Now is the time that you are going to learn what it is like to be a CK's (cancer kids) mom. Prepare for lots of rants and venting :)
Last night I sat in front of Brac's pill counter and did the weekly "sorting of the pills". This method works well for us because everything is laid out just so and everyday there is one thing in our life that remains simple... well as simple as can be. This is his steroid week. Every month he goes to the hospital for one day and every month for 5 days he is on steroids.
Steroids = HUGE TEMPER TANTRUMS and weird eating habits. This morning he begged me for a bowl of "lunch"... chef Boyarde ravioli. This time of the month he can easily eat 5 to 6 of the small microwavable bowls and then snacks in between, usually something salty. This is when being a mommy is the hardest. For a month we can sort of forget what is going on in his little body and then there is the one day that we do not look forward to at all. CHEMO DAY!
This day involves driving an hour to Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Weigh in for Brac, vital check, then the dreaded port access. He is such a trooper. He may flinch a little but he does fairly well to be 3. He rarely cries unless he is just having a bad day.
They have recently started giving him antibodies... this is supposed to boost his immune system to help us avoid another week long stay in the hospital. So far we have been lucky and they seem to be working. We are thanking God daily for that. He also gets IV antibiotics. And of course they draw labs and give him his dose of chemo. All this makes for a VERY VERY LONG day in the day hospital.
I think once you get past all the needles and such Brac doesn't mind it much because he gets all the "chicken on the bone" (chicken legs), mashed potatoes and gravy and chocolate milk that he wants.
So for now we will devour bowls of ravioli and jars of pickles and olives. And we will deal with the temper tantrums and wish. All the while I will try to keep sane and keep my head up. Because any way you look at this, it's just not fair. These kids have normal lives one minute and then they are thrown into this world of chemo, doctors, being pulled from there friends because their friends have a sniffle, not being able to go to preschool, and just simply not being normal. And it's just not fair. Makes me so mad and so sad that we are in this uncontrollable world.
Brac remains my hero, he is now and he forever will be. I encourage everyone that I know to donate blood and plasma. It is a small sacrifice for a HUGE and wonderful cause.
In other Mom News....
I am attempting to teach Zoe to eat by herself... this is one part of being a mommy that totally grosses me out. I am one of those moms who is forever wiping there mouth when they are eating. I totally believe in letting them get dirty and letting them be kids. I love letting them pick out there on clothes and accessories to wear in public. But letting them eat on there own.... UGH!!! It is just gross.
Needless to say this was followed by a bubble bath and a bottle. That is another adventure in its self. By the time Braxton was 10 months we had broken him from the bottle and the pacifier. Zoe is not having it. She will take a sippy cup but it manages to end up rolling down her face. She never does that with the bottle. I am in no rush to push her to keep up with her brother. I am loving that she is still my baby.
So that is todays adventures in mother hood from the Sassy Southern Belle. :)
Ya'll stay sweet.

No comments:
Post a Comment